Living in Calgary, we’ve all had our fair share of hard water experiences; whether it’s a crusty build-up around your faucet or spotty dishes after a run through the dishwasher, the effects of hard water are annoying.
So what causes hard water? Hard water is regular water that has traveled through different forms of stone and soil, picking up minerals along the way. The most typical minerals collected are calcium and magnesium. While hard water is generally not a health concern, it can create other issues for homeowners.
Potential Hard Water Issues:
- The minerals in hard water can clog your pipes, reduce water flow and require constant repairs.
- Crusty film can gather on kitchen fixtures and appliances causing constant repair work.
- Mineral deposits in hard water can shorten the life of your water heater and increase your utility bill. Since these deposits don’t conduct heat well, additional energy is needed to heat water. A study done by New Mexico University found that water heaters lost 30% of efficiency with hard water.
- Hard water can affect the taste of food and beverages (coffee, tea, pasta).
Hard Water Solutions:
There are a few ways to alleviate hard water issues and maintain your home’s plumbing functionality. For instance:
- Water Softeners: Probably the most popular and effective way to rid your home of hard water. Many local plumbers, like Lone Star Plumbing and Heating, can install the water softener as well as perform regular maintenance on it.
- Run appliances with distilled vinegar: this will help remove built up residue and prolong the life of your appliances.
- Remove calcification from all pipes and fixtures regularly. You can use vinegar to remove build or call your local plumber to de-calcify pipes.
- Have your Calgary plumber flush your hot water heater a few times a year to dispose of mineral residue. Also, change evaporation pads during each flush.
- Inspect your outdoor irrigation system on a regular basis. Ensure that there aren’t any potential obstructions effecting pipes and water flow.
If you’re like most Calgary residents, you deal with hard water on a regular basis. Try these tips at home to protect your plumbing and call a Calgary plumber to inspect the function of your pipes. Call Lone Star Plumbing and Heating today at 403.295.3028.
Contact Us Now For Trusted and Reliable Plumbing and Heating Services: